Thursday 14 August 2014

Meeting of Above and Below
This is the meeting idea i have chosen for my week 5 & 6 project, we were told to come up with 5 different spaces to be designed for this meeting idea and that we were going to discuss these ideas to finally decided which space would be designed.
These were my 5 different ideas
  • Underground Park
  • Artificial Ravine
  • Park "pods"
  • Living space above and below ground
  • Reverberation chamber
Here are some quick drawings I did for each of these spaces.


After some peer review with the teachers I realized a few things about designing these kinds of spaces.
First off i have to be more creative in thinking about using the boatsheds as my space, its far to easy to just make a big hole in the ground to design a space, the challenge and creative thinking comes into being able to design a space that is contained inside the boatshed. I also realized about the things I wanted to focus on when designing this space. I want to focus on creating multiple levels in the space to blur the line between above and below or enhance it in some situations, I want to think about how at different levels there is different hierarchy or power such as a king sitting high up on his throne while the peasants are left down below, another thing to consider with the boatsheds is that there is already some of this leveling of people such as people walking on the street at the roof height of the sheds while someone also being underneath them and also the different levels of the tides at different times of the day. I also wanted to play with the idea of altitude.
So to take this all in I think I want to start off with designing my space as a public space but try and incorporate all the things I just talked about so that its more of an exploration of levels and verticality than just a public space.

No comments:

Post a Comment